Monday, April 29, 2013

BUTTERICK 5447

First of all let me just say that I do not know how but I am learning how to blog. Then let me just say concerning this first posting that I did not have any idea on how to sew at the time. I had totally winged it during my earlier work in 2010.  I had gotten the sewing bug and wanted to sew any and everything. I had just bought my machine and did not care what I had to sew just as long as I was sewing.  This particular garment was made from some undetermined fabric that i had bought from Walmart. I really think it is home decor fabric, but it turned out nice.  What do you think?
 
This pattern was not very hard and I am glad that I decided to tackle B5447. I called myself altering the waist and hips.  I just needed more room. I had also lengthened the hem about 1-2".

 I was very scared about this zipper and vent.
Now that I am a more experienced sewer, I will definitely try this pattern a second time.

Pattern Description:  Lined, straight dress is mid knee length, has princess seam darts, back zipper and hemline slit.
Pattern Sizing: 16-24. I cut the 22.
Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it I think so.
Were the instructions easy to follow? Somewhat at the time. This was one of my first project that I had done before I took any classes or lessons. I can't say that I knew exactly what I was doing, but it seemed to turn out fine. I was just soo excited and wanted to sew something. I had just bought my sewing machine and wanted to use it. I DID NOT KNOW ANYTHING!! This was done in 2010.
What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I just like the look. It is  simple and classic look to me.
Fabric Used:
 I have absolutely no idea. On the bolt is said undetermined fabric. I got if from the my Walmart store on the dollar section. I really think that it is home decor fabric.
Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: I added to the waist and hip. I also lengthen it by 1.5" in the hem.
Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? I will definately try this again as a much more experienced sewer.  I always do better the second time i sew a pattern. If you are adventurous like me as a beginner, I would say yes.
Conclusion: Considering that I did not know anything about fabric selection, I like it.

2 comments:

Juanita said...

I like it!

Unknown said...

Thank you. Please be patient with me as I learn how to blog and post reviews.